We are the Data Controller under the terms of the Data Protection Act 2017 and the requirements of the EU General Data Protection Regulation.
This Privacy Notice explains which Personal Data the holds, why we hold and process it, who we might share it with, and your rights and freedoms under the Law.
Types of Personal Data
The practice holds the personal data in the following categories:
- Patient clinical and health data and correspondence.
- Staff employment data.
- Contractor’s data.
Why we process Personal Data (what is the “purpose”)
“Process” means we obtain, store, update and archive data.
- Patient data is held for the purpose of providing patients with appropriate, high quality, safe and effective dental care and treatment.
- Staff employment data is held in accordance with Employment, Taxation and Pensions law.
- Contractor’s data is held for the purpose of managing their contracts.
What is the Lawful Basis for the processing Personal Data?
The Law says we must tell you this:
- We hold the patient’s data because it is in our Legitimate Interest to do so. Without holding the data we cannot work effectively. Also, we must hold data on NHS care and treatment as it is a Public Task required by law.
- We hold staff employment data because it is Legal Obligation for us to do so.
- We hold contractor’s data because it is needed to Fulfill a Contract with us.
Who might we share your data with?
We can only share data if it is done securely and it is necessary to do so.
- Patient data may be shared with the other healthcare professionals who need to be involved in your care (for example if we refer you to a specialist or need laboratory work undertaken). Patient data may be also be stored for back-up purposes with our computer software suppliers who also store it securely.
- Employment data will be shared with government agencies such as HMRC.
- We may need to share it with The NHS (NHSBSA) if requested by them. Also any dental insurance companies who request to check payment details.
You have the right to:
- Be informed about the personal data we hold and why we hold it.
- Access a copy of your data that we hold by contacting us directly. We will acknowledge your request and supply a response within one month or sooner.
- Check the information we hold about you is correct and to make corrections if not.
- Have your data to someone else if you tell us to do so and it is safe and legal to do so.
- Transfer your data to someone else if you tell us to do so and it is safe and legal to do so.
- Tell us not to actively process or update your data in certain circumstances
How long is the Personal Data stored for?
- We will store patient data for as long as we are providing care, treatment or recalling patients for further care. We will archive (that is, store it without further actions) for as long as is required for legal purposes as recommended by the NHS or other trusted experts recommend
- We must store employment data for six years after an employee has left.
- We must store the contractor’s data for seven years after the contract is ended.
What if you are not happy or wish to raise a concern about your data processing?
You can complain in the first instance to us our Data Protection Officer, who is Dr Aisha Ahmed 01619697432. Saledental1@hotmail.co.uk. and we will do our best to resolve the matter. If this fails, you can complain to the Information Commissioner at www.ico.org.uk/concerns or by calling 0303 123 1113.